Friday, June 24, 2011

Anyone have a least favorite body part?

My first reply to this question would be my stomach.
Growing up I always had a very flat stomach. And friends would comment on it constantly, wishing their own could be as flat. After 4 kids…it is stretched to hell. To Hell I Tell You! I used to work for a plastic surgeon who said my stretch marks are so wide (some are a full 2”) it is impossible to regain the elasticity back with that kind if skin damage. I have a lot of fat to loose there first but a tummy tuck is the only way to repair it. And as much as that bothers me, it has become less of an issue for me as my children grow older. I would do anything for my kids and if you asked me now to destroy my flat stomach for them, I wouldn’t hesitate.
So body part number 2? My calves. They are huge! I’ve never had thin legs, I’m short 5’4”, and long thin legs just aren’t in the cards for me. However I’d love to have very defined muscular legs. My calves I feel are just disproportionately large.
Today I was doing some weights with 2 friends of mine. When Julie says to me “Wow! Look at your calf muscles! That is incredible, I want calves like that!”.
I was dumbfounded. What? Me? My legs? Who are you talking to? Don’t you mean Jana? You know Jana, 5’10”-long-skinny legged-muscle toned-marathon running-Jana?
She laughed and said “no, I’ll never look like Jana, I’m not built that way, but if I could have your calves I’d take em!”

My head is still trying to process this I’ve been standing in front of the mirror flexing and posing and…
I Just Can’t See It!
I wish I could. It takes the mind so much longer to catch up to the progress our bodies are able to achieve.
But you know what? I pulled out my shorts I haven’t worn in 3 years and by damn I’m wearing them! Because someone said my calves look good and I’m choosing to believe her!

1 comment: